AirPods are wireless earbuds designed by Apple. They are compatible with several Apple products, including the MacBook. Connecting your AirPods to your MacBook is simple, and it allows you to enjoy high-quality audio while working.
Before connecting your AirPods to your MacBook, you need to ensure that your MacBook meets the minimum requirements. For AirPods Pro, you need macOS 10.15.1 Catalina or later. For 2nd Gen AirPods, you require macOS 10.14.4 Mojave or later. Lastly, for 1st Gen AirPods, you need macOS 10.12 Sierra or later.
How to Connect AirPods to a MacBook
There are two ways to connect your AirPods to your MacBook, depending on whether you already use them with your iPhone or not.
Connecting AirPods to MacBook If You Don’t Use Them on iPhone
If you haven’t connected your AirPods to your iPhone, you can connect them directly to your MacBook. Here’s how:
- Open your MacBook and click the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Click on “System Preferences.”
- Click on “Bluetooth” in the System Preferences panel.
- Put your AirPods in their charging case and open the lid.
- Press and hold the button on the back of the case until the status light starts flashing.
- Your AirPods should appear in the Bluetooth devices list. Click “Connect” to pair them with your MacBook.
Connecting AirPods to MacBook If You Use Them on iPhone
If you already use your AirPods with your iPhone, connecting them to your MacBook is even easier. Here’s how:
- Open your MacBook and click the Volume icon in the top menu bar.
- Select your AirPods from the list of available devices.
If your MacBook is logged in to the same Apple ID as your iPhone and Handoff is turned on, the AirPods should connect automatically.
Troubleshooting AirPods That Won’t Connect
If you’re having trouble connecting your AirPods to your MacBook, there are a few things you can do:
- Make sure your AirPods are charged.
- Ensure that your MacBook is up to date with the latest macOS.
- Try repairing your AirPods with your MacBook.
- Reset your AirPods by holding down the button on the back of the charging case for 15 seconds.
- Restart your MacBook.
How to Change Mac Audio Output to AirPods
Once you’ve connected your AirPods to your MacBook, you need to change your Mac’s audio output to your AirPods to listen to audio through them. Here’s how:
- Click the Volume icon in the top menu bar.
- Select your AirPods from the list of available output devices.
How to Connect AirPods to Other Devices
AirPods are not limited to use with Apple products only. You can connect them to any device that supports Bluetooth, including Windows 10 PCs and Android phones.
To connect your AirPods to a non-Apple device, put them in pairing mode by pressing and holding the button on the back of the charging case until the status light starts flashing. Then, follow the standard Bluetooth pairing process on your device.
Connecting AirPods to your MacBook is simple and allows you to enjoy high-quality audio while working. With the above steps, you can easily connect your AirPods to your MacBook and change the audio output to AirPods. If you’re having trouble connecting them, try troubleshooting using the steps outlined above. Additionally, AirPods can also be connected to other devices that support Bluetooth, expanding their utility beyond Apple products.