Like every year, Apple has finally announced the next version of its mobile operating system iOS 14 at its recent Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. The new version comes up with exciting and fun-filled features as it imagines its iconic experience to be more helpful and personal. With features like redesigned Widgets and Smart Stack option, App Library, picture-in-picture mode, etc., it has created a different aesthetic for itself in iOS 14.
However, as of now, this update is only available for software developers as it is a beta version but will be soon come in the market, the unofficial news says iOS 14 Release Date will be around mid September 2020. There is also a public beta version that would be made available in July and the final software update version likely in September. The developer preview of iOS 14 is open to Apple Developer Program members at Apple’s developer site. These beta versions are the pre-release testing programs that every update has to go through before the final launch.
iOS 14 Beta
iOS 14 Release Date
iOS is releasing on September 16th, 2020
iOS 14 New Features
iOS 14 adds a new App Library outlook for organizing all of your apps. Apps are robotically organized in the App Library, and you don’t have to preserve all of the icons on your authentic home screen view. There is also a novel list view as well as features for categorization applications based on convention and more.
iOS 14 enhances widgets to the home screen of the iPhone and iPad for the first time. Widgets are supplementary data-rich than ever and derive in a diversity of sizes. Apps move out of the technique inevitably to make room for the widgets. You access new widgets through the “Widget Gallery,” with manifold diverse sizing options.
Picture in Picture on iPhone
iOS 14 also provides sustenance for picture in picture, works identical parallel to the iPad experience. Meanwhile, Siri has an innovative interface that does not outdo the perfect screen.
A first-hand translate app in iOS 14 is premeditated for conversations and works entirely offline. All you have to do is tap on the microphone icon and the app will interpret to your chosen language. There will be 11 different languages supported at the launch.
iOS 14 App Clips
iOS 14 also improves a new App Clip feature to effortlessly access applications rapidly without downloading the full version from the App Store.
“Small part of an app that is speedy and cool to access,” Federighi explains.
Launch an app with a solo tap and pay and log in with Apple Pay and Sign in with Apple.
New iMessage Features
For iMessage, Apple is accumulating new Memoji accessories (including a new face mask Memoji) as well as pinned messages. New features for group iMessages as well: in-line replies, mentions.
Real-Time Headphone Audio Alerts
You can measure and monitor headphone audio levels in real-time with an innovative iOS 14 option in Control Center. This new feature has an alike interface to the Apple Watch Noise app, which measures the audio levels of the milieu instead of headphones.
QR code payments
Apple is working on QR code payments for iOS 14 with current release date.
References found in the iOS 14 code disclose that Apple is working on a new method for permitting users make payments with Apple Pay by scanning a QR Code or customary barcode with the iPhone camera.
This information wasn’t announced at WWDC, so it’s likely it won’t launch with the first version of iOS 14 and could come later in the year.
Leaked passwords are when you use the equivalent password across numerous websites and one of them gets hacked. iCloud keychain is going to physique in a feature to alert you about leaked passwords.
With iOS 14, Apple offers a new “Security Recommendations” menu that shows only your passwords that could laid your accounts at risk for roughly reason. This includes passwords that are easy to predict and even those that may have leaked on the web.
Apple is also apprising the Voice Memos app with iPhone and macOS Big Sur. The utmost exciting feature this year is the new Enhance Recording functionality. The Enhance Recording feature reduces contextual noise and room noise with a single tap. Once you form a recording, you’ll see a slight icon parallel to the Auto adjustment feature in the Photos app. Details on precisely how this feature works are unclear, but Apple is profoundly promoting the simplicity of the process.
iOS 14 compatible Devices
Apple says that iOS 14 can run on the iPhone 6s and later, which is the particular same compatibility as iOS 13. Here’s the full list:
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
Precautionary Notes for iOS 14
Note that this iOS 14 beta can only be downloaded on iPhone 6s or above models. As the name suggests, the beta version may have a few bugs or crashes which are expected to be fixed and polished with subsequent updates. So, if you have a compatible model and wish to go ahead with the update it is essential to back up your iPhone, or, better, use a secondary iPhone and not your regular primary device. This is necessary to make sure that you do not lose any valuable data while the beta is installing and you can go back to your last version whenever you want, in case you do not like your new software update.
Steps to download iOS 14 Beta
- Downloading the iOS 14 developer beta involves you registering as an Apple developer and paying $99/£79 a year.
- After this step, to install the beta version, in Safari on your iPhone, you need to go to developer.apple.com and log in using your Apple ID. Then, go to the Downloads section, select iOS 14 beta and tap Install Profile, then Accept.
- Once the profile is downloaded, open the Settings app > General > Profile, then select the profile Downloaded (a new option which should appear), then click the profile chosen. Tap Install in the top-right to install the iOS 14 beta profile.
- Read the developer consent form, give your consent and restart your iPhone.
- Now, go to Settings > General > Software Update, where you should see the iOS 14 beta. Tap Download and Install. Wait for your iPhone to finish downloading the update, then tap Install when prompted. Now, since the update is nearly 5GB, it will take some time to download. Once the steps work correctly, your iPhone should be able to be run the iOS 14 beta.
Developer or Public Beta iOS14
Before public betas start to roll out, there is only the developer version available. However, if you’re not a developer, but you still want to install the developer beta, you will have to find and download a copy of the iOS 14 beta profile on a non-Apple site for example Google. Once you’ve downloaded the profile, you can install the beta using the same method listed above by opening the Settings app.
- Once the public beta is launched, you need to follow the below instructions to install it on your iPhone.
- Sign Up on the Apple Beta page and register with your Apple ID. Then, Log in to the Beta Software Program.
- Enroll your iOS device. In case you signed up for a previous version’s beta last year you may need to uninstall the profile for that and re-enroll for the new one.
- Go to beta.apple.com/profile on your iOS device and download and install the configuration profile. That will make the beta version available in the Settings app, under General, Software Update.
- Until the launch of the final version this fall, we hope this suffices as a guide to install the currently available beta version.
To receive daily dosage of technology news, subscribe to one of the best tech magazine’s, Technowize.