Although we live in a perpetually online world, there are times when you want to save a web page as a PDF document so that you can read it later. You can copy the link to the web page and send yourself an email, but you will need an active internet connection to read it again. Saving a webpage as a PDF is a great way to keep the content in an easily accessible format.
Besides, once you save a webpage as PDF, you have the option to annotate it or print it for your records. But how do you save a webpage as a PDF?
Here is a step-by-step guide that can help you save almost any webpage from your browser directly on your device in a PDF format. We have tried to cover the most popular browsers in the following guide as there are several browsers. We will be covering Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mac Safari, and Firefox.
To convert the content on a webpage to a PDF document on Google’s Chrome web browser, follow the steps outlined below:
- Open a webpage that you want to save in a tab of the browser.
- Click on the three-dot icon on the top right corner.
- Choose Print from the drop-down menu.
- Alternatively, you can press ControlControl + P on Windows PC and Command + P on Mac to access the print menu.
- Once you follow the above steps, you will see a pop-up window appearing from where you can select the file’s destination and print the webpage to PDF easily.
- You can click on the More Settings tab and change various settings if you want more control, including size and scaling.
- Once you are satisfied with the format, click Save.
Microsoft is the new browser from Microsoft and is the successor of the good old internet explorer. As the latest version of this browser is based on Chromium, the steps to convert a webpage to PDF we describe apply to the latest version and not the previous versions:
- Click the three-dot icon that is found in the top right corner.
- Select Print from the drop-down menu or activate the Print menu directly by pressing ControlControl + P on windows PC and Command + P on Mac.
- A window will pop up. Click the down arrow under the Printer tab and select Save as PDF to print the webpage to pdf.
- You can also edit a few aspects of the PDF, including the formatting, size, and scaling.
- Hit Save to complete the process.
Saving a webpage as a PDF on Safari is very simple. There is more than one way to download a webpage as a PDF on this browser. Here is the simplest and the least complicated way to do it.
- Open the webpage you want to save as a PDF.
- Click the menu that says File and select Export as PDF.
- A pop-up window will appear where you can choose the destination of the document, file name, and other aspects.
- Hit Save, and that’s it!
Firefox is quite popular, especially among Windows users, but it does not have an in-built PDF printer to download webpages as PDF. The browser must rely on Microsoft Print to save a webpage as a PDF.
You can get the job done using the following steps:
- Click the hamburger icon (three like icon) on the top right.
- Select Print on the drop-down menu.
- Select Microsoft Print to PDF in the Printer tab on the popped-up window.
- Hit Print to save the document.
Extensions and other tools
What if you want to customize the PDF before saving it? You can do it using specialized online tools to convert HTML directly into PDF. You can customize how your saved PDF looks and how and where you want to save it. If you’re going to convert hundreds of web pages into PDFs, these extensions and online tools can be a great option.
It is an online tool that can convert any webpage from HTML into PDF format, and it is free to use. You need to create a free account, and you are good to go.
It is great software with PDF creating and editing tools baked right into it. You can generate highly customized PDFs with watermarks and such using NovaPDF. Although you will need to pay for the software, it is worth the money if you deal with PDFs for business purposes.