The Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra has been unveiled at last. All eyes were on the high-profile event named Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2023, where president and head of Samsung’s mobile experience business, TM Roh did the honors of introducing this gem of a smartphone to the entire world.
The Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra happens to be the latest offering in the Android flagship domain from the Seoul-headquartered company. It was launched along with the two other top-notch handsets from the new S23 series smartphones. They are namely the Galaxy S23 and the Galaxy S23+. But among these three, the Galaxy S23 Ultra is the most high-end one. It’s the most pricey too.
We all know that last year turned out to be quite amazing for this South Korean tech power-player. On one hand, its flagships managed to regain the pole position and on the other hand, its mid-range smartphones too, continued to dominate the market. From Galaxy A23 to Galaxy A53, Samsung managed to garner huge sales in every segment.
There are high hopes with the Galaxy S23 Ultra too. Let’s delve deeper to figure out what’s in store.
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra: Stuff that Dreams Are Made of!
The all-new Galaxy S23 Ultra was one of the most-awaited phones of the year and in its own right managed to make the cut to our elite list of Upcoming Phones 2023. At the first glance, it seems to be crafted with the most desired qualities – sheer passion, refined style, effortless smartness and above all polished elegance.
It’s probably the phone you have always dreamt of – a device that suits you as a business professional during the day and when the sun sets and you seek some solace in the gamer within you, it doesn’t let you down. From housing a dream camera setup in a handheld device to allowing you with your entrepreneurial aspirations by managing your multitasking with ease, it does it all.
It’s much more than a monstrous performance and a mammoth camera in the form of a 200MP one. Rather, the brand-new Galaxy S23 Ultra appears too good to be true. It feels unreal as the overall user experience seems surreal.
But what makes this new Galaxy S series phone stand on a different pedestal altogether? What are the most important salient features on offer? Let’s have a quick look at the major highlights to grasp the essence.
These are the major highlights that separate it from the host of other Android flagships out there. Let’s get started without much ado.
- Boom! Guess what? You can have a blast with the new S23 Ultra, as it’s bolstered with the electrifying presence of the world’s fastest Snapdragon, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. Thus, it houses the strongest chip ever in a Samsung Galaxy.
- The camera setup is simply unparalleled. A gigantic 200MP (not only unseen but unheard of in an Android flagship) Wide-angle camera, straight outta Jurassic Age, leads the charge. It’s well accompanied by an array of top-notch cameras – a 12MP Selfie Camera, a 12MP Ultra Wide Rear Camera, a 10MP 10x Optical Zoom Telephoto Rear Camera and a 10MP 3x Optical Zoom Telephoto Camera 2. When it comes to the quality of the photos produced, the S23 Ultra’s stunning camera setup outsmarts the S22 Ultra and even the Google Pixel 7 Pro, which is still dubbed as the ‘Best Android Camera Phone’ by many.
- Thanks to the Dynamic AMOLED 2X, the S23 Ultra delivers clear, colorful details on screen, whether dimmed down low or full-blast brightness. And courtesy of the 120Hz technology, it is blessed with intelligent optimization of the refresh rate to smooth out action and save on battery.
- Samsung promises that the new 5000mAh battery of S23 Ultra, is nothing but a powerhouse. Hence, you won’t run out of fuel when it comes to intense gaming or binge watching a gripping cinema or series in the middle of the night.
- Aimed at providing comfort to the multitaskers, S23 Ultra now allows you to switch to other Samsung devices like laptop, smartwatch or tab, and continue from right where you left. Indeed a pure bliss, isn’t it?
- With One UI on board, there’s no limit to scopes for customization – pick almost every detail, from lock screens and themes to widgets and notifications, in a hassle-free manner. See your phone get decked up the way you like.
- Comes with Galaxy’s biggest sensor till date, alongside light-absorbing pixels and video stabilization technology – all packed into one Pro-grade Camera, making it simply ‘an offer you can’t refuse’.
- The long legacy of Samsung Note lives on as it embarks on a new journey in the form of a meticulously crafted S Pen that not only comes with the S23 Ultra, but also fits well within its body. Be it taking notes, creating memos or making sketches – you are covered with the well-equipped smart [S] pen.
- This is Samsung’s most eco-friendly smartphone ever, having been built with green ingredients like recycled glass and PET film.
Galaxy S23 Ultra Specifications
Let’s have a close look at the Galaxy S23 Ultra features to have a fair understanding about what exactly it brings to the table. Here we go!
Starting Price: US $1,199, UK £1,249
Display Size and Resolution: 6.8-inch Dynamic AMOLED, QHD+ Edge Screen, 500ppi
Display Brightness, Refresh Rate: 1,750 nits, 120Hz Adaptive Refresh Rate
Processor: Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Mobile Platform for Galaxy
RAM: 8GB, 12GB
Storage: 256GB, 512GB, 1TB
Rear Cameras: 200MP (f/1.7) main, 12MP (f/2.2) ultrawide, 10MP (f/2.4) telephoto (3x optical zoom), 10MP (f/4.9) telephoto (10x optical zoom, 100x Space zoom)
Video: 8K at 30fps, 4K at 60fps and Full HD at 120fps
Front Camera: 12MP f2.2, 4K video at 60 fps
Battery Size: 5,000 mAh
Charging Speed: 45W
Size: 3.07 x 6.43 x 0.35 inches
Weight: 8.25 ounces
Colors: Phantom Black, Cream, Green, Lavender
In a nutshell, the Galaxy S23 Ultra features are simply over the top. Considering the major highlights of its salient features and taking the detailed specifications into account, one can fairly conclude that it’s probably the best Android flagship at the moment.
Galaxy S23 Ultra: Samsung Bridging the Gap with Apple?
Samsung is now the unchallenged numero uno in the Android domain, so far as flagship smartphones are concerned. However, Apple is still the one holding the bragging rights, when it comes to high-end phones in general.
In a bid to lock horns with Apple with more firepower, Samsung has catapulted a number of extremely significant changes in the Galaxy S23 Ultra. Let’s go through them.
- Bolstering Samsung Pay to counter Apple Pay.
- Alluring users with a Samsung ecosystem, where you remain connected across devices – smartphone, tab, smartwatch and laptop. For the uninitiated, it was already there in Apple, as you could switch as per your free will from one to another – iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Apple Watch, all under the same roof.
- One of the primary USPs of iPhones remains its world-class camera. Apple itself brands the powerful camera by coming up with promotional lines like, ‘iPhone has gone to film schools’. Samsung has tried to counter this with the new Galaxy S23 Ultra by packing a mammoth 200MP camera.
However, it has missed out on the much-anticipated satellite connectivity, something which was aimed to be an antidote to iPhone’s earth-shattering Emergency SOS via Satellite feature, which has gone live in the new iPhone 14 line-up months ago.
In this regard, president and head of Samsung’s mobile experience business, TM Roh said that the right thing will be done in the right time, “When there is the right timing, infrastructure and the technology [is] ready, then of course for Samsung Galaxy, for our mobile division, we would also actively consider adopting this feature as well.”
We will maintain a close tab on this mouth-watering tech-rivalry between these two power players from the flagship smartphone market and keep you posted with exclusive updates.
Galaxy S22 Ultra Vs Galaxy S23 Ultra
The Galaxy S22 Ultra happens to be the immediate predecessor of the new Galaxy S23 Ultra. It managed to set the Android flagship market on fire last year. Let’s do a quick comparison between the two.
- S22 Ultra’s highest resolution is 108MP, whereas in case of S23 Ultra, it is almost double – a jaw-dropping 200MP.
- Though both of them house the same 5000mAh (typical) battery, the Galaxy S23 Ultra guarantees up to roughly 26 hours of video playback and enhanced performance courtesy of an improved processing power.
- S22 Ultra’s original price was $1,299.99, whereas the new S23 Ultra costs you a bit less, as it comes with a price-tag of $1,199.99.
When Is It Releasing?
The latest inclusion to the elusive Galaxy lineup by Samsung, is coming to the stores on February 17, 2023. It has been learnt that those who are going to book it in advance by opting for the exciting pre-order option with Samsung (comes with exciting perks and crazy discounts), will also get their copies around that time, as the high-end handset will start getting shipped then.
Meanwhile, you can place your pre-order now to enjoy the early bird discounts and bonuses.
Where Can I Buy It?
You can buy it from Samsung’s official website. Though there are other options too, in the form of the leading ecommerce websites like Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, Croma etc., if you buy it right from Samsung’s portal then a lot of perks await you.
Firstly, for pre-orders there’s an exciting discount on offer. Secondly, an array of colors, which are exclusive to Samsung’s website, are available. These are – Lime, Sky Blue, Graphite and Red.
Shall I Go for the Galaxy S23 Ultra?
If you are eager to buy an Android flagship and ready to pay a hefty sum of $1,199, then don’t look anywhere else. The out-of-the-world camera setup alone sets the debate of ‘Isn’t it pricey?’ to rest. Therefore, don’t mind shelling out such a staggering amount for a smartphone. For, it seems to justify every single penny that it costs, giving you the ULTRAedge – in terms of performance, in terms of style.
Stay tuned with us, as we will get back to you with a detailed review when it hits the stores on February 17, 2023.