Do you think you need to worry about your iPhone getting heated up? How much hot is consider as iPhone overheating? When do we know that it has reached its overheating stage? These are some of the questions that we are about to address in this article reading iPhone overheating. Along with it are a few tips to take preventive action and ways to cool off the phone.
Firstly, it is essential to understand that it is okay for an iPhone to get hot with prolonged use, such as while playing videos, gaming, downloading multiple apps, etc. It works best when used between 32-95 degrees Fahrenheit or 0-35 degrees Celsius. Exposing it to temperatures much below or higher this average results in it getting warmer.
iPhone Overheating Issues
However, if you doubt that your iPhone is getting too hot, here are a few instances that maybe some common signs:
- The display goes off intermittently
- Battery drains easily.
- The charging slows down or goes off.
- Camera flash gets temporarily disabled.
- Apps that are graphic intense may crash or stop working.
- Call qualities may become poor as cellular radios might enter a low-power state
- Finally, your iPhone displays this warning message: “iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it.”
Why does your iPhone overheat?
- Exposing the device to temperatures above or below the average acceptable environment.
- Keeping the phone in direct sunlight for an extended period.
- Your phone case is preventing the device from cooling correctly by not allowing the heat to dissipate. The iPhone’s exterior shell acts as a cooling surface, and heat dissipates from it. However, cases, mainly rubber, act as insulators and trap heat, resulting in the phone being much hotter than usual.
- Charging and continuously using the device at the same time or over-charging after it’s reached 100%.
- Using GPS and real-time navigation controls in older devices or during hot environmental conditions.
- Restoring the phone from a backup.
- Using processor-intensive or graphic-intensive apps for a prolonged time or in an overlapping manner.
Immediate steps to cool down your iPhone
If you notice your iPhone displaying any of the signs mentioned above or you generally feel it to be too hot, follow the tips given below:
- Switch off Bluetooth and Location Services
- Switch off Background App Refresh
- Unplug your device from the charger
- Turn the phone off and allow the heat to dissipate
- Remove the phone case
- Take it away from direct sunlight
- Reset your network settings to check if the issue is related to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Avoid sudden changes in extreme temperatures like direct airflow from AC on hot days. Avoid putting it in the refrigerator or freezer
- Uninstalled apps that are rarely or never used.
- Disable iCloud and close all apps
- Check for an iOS update
Preventive measures to keep your iPhone temperature in check
- Avoid keeping it in direct sunlight for a long time
- Make sure you are using an original Apple charger
- Check your iPhone to be sure that it does not have a runaway app. This is generally a third-party app that is stuck and consumes a large amount of storage and processing
- Avoid using the phone with too high brightness unless necessary since turning the screen brightness up will make your battery work harder and generate more heat
- Avoid playing games, especially graphically advanced ones, for a prolonged period as they can be taxing the processor and create more heat.
We hope these few tips will be useful for you. However, if your iPhone continues to heat up over time, contact Apple support for further help.