Xiaomi Wireless AR Smart Glass has made its dream debut at the grand stage of the MWC 2023. For the uninitiated, MWC (Mobile World Congress) is the largest and most influential event for the connectivity ecosystem. It’s said that whether you’re a global mobile operator, device manufacturer, technology provider, vendor, content owner, or are simply interested in the future of tech, you simply can’t afford to be not there.
The 2023 MWC, which is currently taking place in Barcelona, has jaw-dropping numbers in its kitty – ‘80K+ Attendees, 50% Director and above, 2000+ Exhibitors and 200+ Countries and Territories.’ And Xiaomi chose such a high-voltage platform to show the entire tech world that it has another ace up its sleeve – the all-new Wireless AR Smart Glass Explorer Edition.
At the moment, Xiaomi seems to be going all guns blazing – only two days ago, it held an actual launch event for its flagship Xiaomi 13 series, something which has helped the brand enormously in gaining a massive surge in traffic. Now it appears to build on that momentum with the ‘breaking’ Xiaomi Wireless AR Smart Glass.
Let’s delve deeper with the story to discover what’s in store. Here we go!
Xiaomi Wireless AR Smart Glass: Wearable Magic?
Xiaomi, which remains one of the world’s leading consumer electronics and smart manufacturing companies, unveiled its brand new concept technology achievement, Xiaomi Wireless AR Glass Discovery Edition, at Mobile World Congress 2023 (MWC 2023), on the very first day of the high-profile event.
One must remember that an AR Smart Glass from Apple was on the cards, until a while ago. But now the intense work for the much-awaited device, which was already underway, has been shelved. It is believed that Xiaomi decided to tap on this great opportunity to announce such a device, which is probably first of its kind so far that would go to mass-scale productions.
Now let’s have a close look at the major highlights in order to get a fair idea about this upcoming product. Here you go!
- It has been learnt that Xiaomi Wireless AR Glass Discovery Edition has been designed with individual experience in mind. That’s why instead of relying on a wired connection to a host computing device, the device is designed at just 126g and easily adopts Xiaomi-developed high-speed interconnection buses to achieve high-speed data connection from smartphone to AR glasses.
- Having built on Snapdragon XR2 Gen 1 Platform and featuring Xiaomi’s proprietary low-latency communication link, these Snapdragon Spaces XR Developer Platform-supported glasses offer you a wireless latency of as low as 3ms1 between the smartphone device to the glasses, and a wireless connection with full link latency as low as 50ms2 which is comparable to wired solutions.
- The AR glasses feature an extremely lightweight design that incorporates a host of lightweight materials such as magnesium-lithium alloy, carbon fiber parts, and a self-developed silicon-oxygen anode battery. Weighing at just 126g, these glasses are meant for minimizing any sort of physical burden on the user.
- Moreover, thanks to analyzing tens of thousands of head tracking data samples, the glasses have been calibrated with precision, taking into account details such as the center of gravity, leg spacing, angle, nose rest, and other factors that contribute to a superior experience.
- Xiaomi Wireless AR Glasses are claimed to be amongst the industry’s first to achieve a “retina-level” display. In case of high-end display concepts, there exists a “critical value” quality threshold for AR glasses. When it comes to angular resolution or PPD (pixels per degree) approaching 60, the human eye fails to distinguish granularity. But the PPD of the Xiaomi Wireless AR Glasses is 58, which is believed to be the industry-leading closest to meeting this quality specification.
- Leveraging a free-form optical module that comprises a pair of MicroOLED screens, Xiaomi Wireless AR Glass also comes with free-form light-guiding prisms to achieve a clear picture display. These free-form prisms are capable of performing complex light refraction in a limited volume. The content displayed on the screen is reflected by three surfaces within the light-guiding prisms, resulting in a final presentation in front of the user’s eyes.
- The AR glasses’ optical module design minimizes light loss and produces clear and bright images with a to-eye brightness of up to 1200 nit, providing a strong foundation for AR applications. Additionally, the AR glasses come equipped with electrochromic lenses that can adapt to different lighting conditions. These lenses enable a blackout mode that offers an immersive experience when viewing content, while the transparent mode produces a more vivid AR experience that blends reality and virtual elements.
- Xiaomi Wireless AR Glass also features an innovative self-researched micro gesture interaction that enables one-handed, highly-precise pure gesture interaction. This kind of interaction showcases one of the directions that Xiaomi believes human-computer interaction will take in the future.
- Xiaomi utilizes the joints of the user’s inner fingers as a gesture recognition area for Xiaomi Wireless AR Glasses. The directional is oriented from the second joint of the middle finger, with the second joint of the index finger representing the upward direction. When combined with the surrounding areas, this forms a four-way directional key for basic movement operations. In addition, the 12 knuckles function similarly to the Chinese nine-key input method, allowing for text input through thumb tapping in the finger area. The thumb sliding on the index finger is used to enter and exit applications. Looking forward, Xiaomi hopes to enable sliding and tapping operations through the random movement of the thumb in the palm.
- Micro gestures on Xiaomi Wireless AR Glass enable users to perform daily app usage operations such as selecting and opening apps, swiping through pages, and exiting apps to return to the start page, all without using a smartphone for controls.
- Xiaomi Wireless AR Glass incorporates a low power-usage AON camera that enables prolonged gesture interaction and facilitates features. Furthermore, users can also opt for conventional smartphone controls, which can be paired and used as a gesture or touchpad control.
- The device supports a variety of large-screen applications available throughout the ecosystem, enabled by Mi Share’s application streaming capability. Popular applications like TikTok and YouTube can optimize display area usage of the glasses, essentially turning them into a portable large screen. Additionally, the AR capability allows users to place familiar apps anywhere in the viewing space and adjust their interface size via spatial gestures, thus enhancing the efficiency and overall experience of information access.
- As the world’s largest smart home platform, Xiaomi has integrated AR to offer a unique experience to users. For instance, Xiaomi Wireless AR Glass allows users to “grab” the screen from a typical television screencast, and then continue watching it on the glasses. Furthermore, Xiaomi has extracted common operations of smart devices, enabling users to operate devices through AR scenes. For instance, when looking at a lamp, users can use spatial gestures to click a virtual button to turn that lamp on or off. Xiaomi has also integrated a spatial audio experience, allowing virtual speakers to be linked with the real environment.
Xiaomi Wireless AR Glasses Discovery Edition needs pairing with Xiaomi 13 or other Snapdragon Spaces ready devices. The glasses are available in a titanium-colored design and support as many as three sizes of nose pieces. Nearsighted users can use an attachable myopic clip for their convenience. In terms of software support, the glasses are compatible with Qualcomm Snapdragon Spaces, OpenXR, and Microsoft MRTK development framework. It has been reported that Xiaomi intends to work closely with developers to expedite the arrival of AR.
Through the New Looking Glass
Can AR Smart Glasses take over smartphones in the distant future? In the first place, we might give it a big laugh but if we think deeply then we would realize that brushing the possibility completely aside, might not be possible for us. For, when we flip through the pages of history, we find that things which were once thought to be an integral part of our livelihood, were forced to take a back seat with the passage of time. The same can happen to smartphones, a few decades later. You never know 🙂
Therefore, in the distant future if the significance as well as the importance of smartphones dwindle away, then AR Smart Glasses are pipped as the firm favorites to take over. Who knows if the Xiaomi Wireless AR Smart Glass would be remembered in the history of tech as the one who initiated a major paradigm shift, being way ahead of its time.
But these are still early days. AR VR devices are yet to be embraced by users from every nook and corner of the world. People are still skeptical and the ones which are on offer, are yet to compel them in trying new experiences, in large numbers.
However, things might just change if Xiaomi manages to strike a chord with users across the globe, with its Wireless AR Smart Glass Explorer Edition. Despite Meta failing to make a mark with its Meta Quest Pro and other such devices, there’s still ample room, which can be utilized.
Just a couple of days ago, Sony’s PlayStation VR2 was launched officially, all over the world. The VR headset is aimed at the huge gaming community, spread across the globe. Going by the initial response, which is quite positive, it can be fairly said that Xiaomi can have high hopes, as gradually things appear to be changing.
However, we need to wait for the Wireless AR Smart Glass Explorer Edition to arrive in the market and see how it fares. It goes without saying that there’s a lot at stake and its sales along with feedback, will have a lot to decide for the entire segment altogether.
Stay tuned with us, as we get back to you soon with more exclusive updates from the world of tech.